Some things don’t change…
According to the OSHA Information System data from Oct. 1, 2018 to Aug. 15, 2019, Fall Protection again topped the list of most cited OSHA violations. The agency and Safety+Health announced Tuesday at the National Safety Council 2019 Congress & Expo, that this is the ninth consecutive year that Fall Protection – General Requirements (for the construction industry) remained at the top of OSHA’s list of violations. The rest of the preliminary list of OSHA’s Top 10 violations for fiscal year 2019 also remained largely unchanged from Fiscal Year 2018, with only one minor adjustment. Lockout/Tagout, which ranked fifth in FY 2018, climbed one spot to No. 4, trading places with Respiratory Protection.
The complete 2019 preliminary list is as follows:
- Fall Protection – General Requirements (501): 6,010 violations
- Hazard Communication (1200): 3,671 violations
- Scaffolding (451): 2,813 violations
- Lockout/Tagout (147): 2,606 violations
- Respiratory Protection (134): 2,450 violations
- Ladders (1053): 2,345 violations
- Powered Industrial Trucks (178): 2,093 violations
- Fall Protection – Training Requirements (503): 1,773 violations
- Machine Guarding (212): 1,743 violations
- Personal Protective Equipment – Eye and Face Protection (102): 1,411 violations
Hazard Communication again was the leading violation for General Industry. Do your employees understand the hazards in your workplace and the GHS labeling which is intended to protect them? If not, it’s time to schedule retraining on recent HazCom/GHS updates for all employees. Call CTI today.